The National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) announced its determination on Eskom’s third Multi-year Price Determination (MYPD3) for the period 2013/14 to 2017/18 on 28 February 2013.
The tariff increase for 2014/15 as approved by Nersa on 19 November 2013 will be implemented on 1 April 2014 for Eskom direct customers and on 1 July 2014 for municipalities as follows:
|Tariff Category||Average percentage Increase|
|Local authority (effective 1 July 2014)||8.06%|
|Non-local authority (effective 1 April 2014)||8.00%|
- All rates for the municipality tariffs were increased by 8.06% as determined by Nersa.
- All rates for the non-municipality tariffs (except for Homelight 20A) were increased by exactly 8%.
- For Homelight 20A, the first block rate was increased by 5.6% and the second block rate by 7.6%. When all customers’ consumption for the two blocks over 12 months is considered, the annual average increase for the total Homelight 20A is 5.85%. The tariff price increase will affect each individual customer differently, depending on the customer’s monthly consumption.
- Urban above refers to the following tariffs: Megaflex, Miniflex, Nightsave Urban Large, Nightsave Urban Small, and Businessrate.
- Rural above refers to the following tariffs: Ruraflex, Nightsave Rural, Landrate, and Landlight.